Washington DC's best wedding photographer
How To Elope In Washington DC

How to Elope in Washington, DC

In order to get a marriage license in the District of Columbia, one of the parties can apply in person at the DC Marriage Bureau. The Marriage Bureau is located at the Moultrie Courthouse in room JM-690. The application is available there, or you can download it ahead of time through this link, and bring it with you. There are no appointments - it is first come, first served. You'll sign in at the computer kiosk and wait to be called. 

Arlington Virginia elopementYou'll need to provide government issued ID for both parties, in the form of a driver's license, state ID card, or passport. You must be 18 or older to marry in the District of Columbia, or 16 if you have parental permission. 

The fee for the DC marriage license is $35, payable by cash, credit card, or money order. If using check or money order, you should make funds payable to Clerk, DC Superior Court. There is also a $10 charge for each certified certificate of marriage. You may want to order 3-4 official copies for your records. The marriage license itself will be issued on the same day. 

You must know the name of your officiant at the time you apply for your marriage license. The officiant must be registered with the District of Columbia. Or, you can request a civil wedding and you can choose a date to be married at the courthouse. Please be aware that DC courthouse weddings often book up in advance, especially during busier times of year. If you have your heart set on a DC courthouse elopement ceremony, I recommend you schedule at least 8-12 weeks in advance during busy times. You can make this appointment while you are applying for the marriage license. Or, you can apply via this form

Too busy to wait in line, or are you coming from out of town? Good news! You can have a third party apply for your marriage license on your behalf. You must provide them with copies of your ID as well as a completed application and the appropriate payment. 

Here are links to the information you'll need to obtain a marriage license in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia.

Washington DC